We are proud to offer canine rehabilitation and conditioning here at VVH. As with physical therapy for people, canine rehabilitation can be used for a number of conditions. Whether your dog is an athlete or a couch potato, a show dog or a pound puppy, conditioning is one area of rehabilitation that every dog could benefit from. You will see great improvement in your dog's ability to move, willingness to play, and overall attitude as we work to improve joint function, improve muscle mass and condition, improve endurance and performance, and reduce pain.
Conditions commonly treated with rehabilitation include:
- Post surgical recovery
- Muscle conditions: sprains, tendonitis, muscle weakness
- Disc disease
- Joint conditions: arthritis, contractures
- Wound management
- Pain management
- Circulation and edema problems
- Weight loss/ management
- Performance problems in the athlete
Treatments are similar to those in the human field. Many of the procedures will be performed here by our certified rehabilitator (CCRP) as well as by the owner at home. A complete program will be set up for you and your pet to offer the greatest opportunity for improvement.
- Thermotherapy: Heat and Cold
- Massage Therapy
- Electrical Stimulation for both pain control and muscle conditioning
- Land Treadmill
- Aquatic Therapy (click here to see videos of dogs on an underwater treadmill)
- Therapeutic Exercise
- Therapeutic Laser (Class IV)
Your pet will be examined by one of our doctors along with our CCRP to determine the best treatment. The doctor will oversee your dog's case until discharged from rehabilitation.